Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Nerts

I sat down to work. Really, I did. I opened Manhunter to get some editing done. But I couldn't wrap my brain around it. I opened Nano to get some writing done instead, but the few words I wrote came out lame. Nerts.

Instead I'm thinking about other things. The end of the schoolyear is this week. Summer officially begins. My winter weight needs to come off, and my exercise tapes are calling me. (Despite the fact that I had my daughter make Chocolate Ecstasy Brownies today and those are calling me, too.) I'm thinking about poker. I'm thinking about the birds outside my window, and the book I'm partway through sitting on my living room table. (The new Jordan Dane, btw.)

Distractions. Nothing but distractions... At least right at the moment. I can't worry about school right now. Exercising at night is pointless. (Fat burns more efficiently in the morning, from what I've heard.) I've been playing poker all day, and I should just call it a day. The book is holding about the same appeal as writing, unfortunately. (Not the book's fault, mind you. This is all me.)

I don't need distractions. I need to work. I need to write and edit, so I can get published. Damn it. Nerts on distractions.

I need a smoke, but it's highly unlikely that will get the creative juices flowing. Oh sure, it helps keep them flowing, but I need a Diehard to jump start this tonight.

:bangs head on desk: Work, damn you. Work!

Anyhoo, this has been a totally pointless post. Unless, of course, you have been in the same position and find a bit of comfort in knowing you're not alone. If that's the case, I'm happy to help.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go slap my muse around. She'll work tonight if it kills us both.

So there. =op

Update: Never mind. I kicked the chick into gear, and got back on track. Still no editing, but the new words are finally coming.

No comments: