Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Never Let A Month Go By

Seriously. I last worked on Nano a month ago yesterday, and sure enough, I'm lost.

Take it from me... Never never NEVER let a month go by without working on your WIP. Of course, I didn't think it would be so long when I typed those words on 12/3. If I had expected this length of time to go by, I might have made some notes about where I was headed with this.

Did I?

Ummm... no.

I do remember I'm only about 10K words off the end. I think I had everything thought out. I was ready to move ahead with it, but I got lazy. I took a couple days off. Then that thing with my mother happened. Then I had holidays to prepare for... and to recover from. "I'll start back where I left off after the New Year," I said to myself. "It'll be no problem." Yeah right.

Humphf.

This too shall pass. I'll have to go back and re-read what I already have so I can pick up the thread again. It'll take some time, but I can do it. It'll just be a pain... a pain I already knew better than to open myself up for again.

So, take it from me. Never do this to yourself. It's just not worth it. Take a day off here or there if you need to. Take a week if there's an emergency. If it's more than a week, pick up a friggin' notepad and write your ideas down before you lose them.

Tomorrow, the journey of rediscovery begins. Wish me luck.

;o)

1 comment:

Kristen Painter said...

I'm sort of at that point too. I know where I am, and I did write a page last week, but I still feel like I need to do some rereading to really get back in the swing of it.