Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Monday, February 4, 2008

New Words

Well, since I finished the second draft of RTL, I figured I'd better get back to my JA mystery. I spent my writerly time Saturday re-reading the first 17K words. I did it to get back into the swing of the story, but it was great reading the book like I wasn't the writer. I cracked myself up.

Last night after the totally awesome Super Bowl, I sat down with my book - tentatively known as Cut and Dried - and nothing. I couldn't figure out where I was going. I couldn't pull a smart comment out of my ear to save myself. I just couldn't get Jordan (the MC) to breathe for me. I scoured my hard drive for the copious notes I knew I jotted about this book, and they are nowhere to be found. (I must've thought I wrote them down. Either that or I dreamed I did it, because nothing was there. I could have a sheet of hardcopy notes floating around here somewhere, but after so many weeks, I wouldn't have the faintest idea where I hid them.)

I almost walked away.

Instead, I said 'screw it' and started writing. From the previous scene, I had a general idea what the next scene had to be comprised of, and I ran with it. Before I knew it, I'd written 1700 words and it was over an hour later. I'm back on track and the new words are flowing. I have the next scene or two jotted down for today's work, and I'm zoomin'.

=oD

And don't think I've forgotten about my prep work for submitting RTL either. It's just on hold until I get my CP's comments and do my next visual run-through. I'm still prepping, mind you; I'm just not submitting yet. My blurb sounds awesome if I do say so myself, and I'm really hopeful about this book.

(Which means if my batting average is anything like before, I'm going to totally crash, but I'll deal with that if it comes. I can't give up hope. Without it, what's the point?)

No comments: