Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Mark My Words

In twenty years, this nation is going to see a spike in the number of deaf people.

Seriously. Every town in every state I've been in has inordinate numbers of people who can't seem to listen to music unless it's cranked on high and the bass is thumping so hard it feels like their hearts are leaping out of their chests. You know the ones. They drive by and your windows rattle. They live five blocks away and you can hear their stereo over the sound of your TV.

They're all going to be stone deaf. Maybe twenty years is being lenient.

As they go deaf, their volumes will rise. Soon not just the electronic volumes either. They'll all be shouting like ninety-year-olds.

I seriously need to buy some ear plugs. See, I have this problem where I can't concentrate while other people's music is playing in the background. And it's EVERYWHERE. Recently someone in my neighborhood began allowing a band to practice on their premises. Whoever they are, they play their instruments with their amplifiers maxxed out, and they have yet to play anything that vaguely resembles music. If I'm not careful, not only my hearing but my sanity will be affected.

Maybe it already is.

2 comments:

WordVixen said...

Yeesh. We rent a townhouse and the new neighbors play crappy music 24/7. I'm telling you, it's the same song, over, and over, and over...

It's a bunch of teenagers- actually, we're relatively sure that there's 8 of them in that 3 bedroom townhome which is totally against the lease rules but... anyway. They keep the same hours we do, but when I sit down to write I just have that stupid song blaring through the walls. If we sit down to watch a movie in the living room, we hear the "sqeeeeeak, BAM!" of the door, over, and over, and over. I have no idea what they're doing, but I'm certain it would be easier to install a revolving door.

And then there's the VW that tried to run me over in the parking lot... You can tell that I love my new neighbors, can't you?

I've already decided that if I ever work from home, those neighbors are going. Or maybe I can get a set of Bose headphones and write it off as a business expense. :)

Heather Moore said...

As soon as I get into the writing "mode" my dog starts barking.