Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

To Die For Coffee Cake

I'm writing like a mad woman on R2L right now, so I think I'll just do something a little unusual for today. Over the weekend, I made the most to-die-for coffee cake. I think you deserve to share in the sheer yummy-ness, so in lieu of cramming cake through the modem, here's the recipe.

To-Die-For Coffee Cake

1 pkg Butter Pecan cake mix (I think Betty C. makes it. Check your grocery store.)
1 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make cake batter according to directions using the above measurements instead of the recommended measurements.

For the streusel topping (which is VERY necessary):

1/2 cup butter (cold and diced)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans if you'd rather)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine above ingredients using a pastry blender (or a fork if you don't have one) until the mixture is crumbly.

In a greased 9"x13" cake pan, spread about half the cake batter. Over the top of the batter, sprinkle about half of the streusel mixture. Gently place remaining batter over streusel layer. Sprinkle remainder of streusel mixture over the top. Place in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean). Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve warm, or eat cold. Can also be reheated in microwave.

Cake lasted from Saturday morning until Monday morning with only three people in the house. What can I say, it was GOOD.

Enjoy!

(P.S. Any cake mix will do, if you can't find the Butter Pecan. I'd go with yellow or white or even Spice. Whatever you like best.)

2 comments:

Alex Adams said...

*wipes drool off chin*

Oh yum!

Kristen Painter said...

If I could just make and eat the streusel topping, that would be fine with me. I love that stuff!