Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Heart or Wallet?

Okay. I'm still trying to figure out which project to jump into next. (I got over the life-burp from yesterday.) I have several I could be working on right now, which leads me to the subject of today's post.

If you had a choice, would you write the book of your heart or the book of your wallet?

Now, if you're not catching my meaning here, the book of your heart is one you're not sure you could sell, but you love the idea of it. The book of your wallet is, of course, the idea you're pretty sure is going to make you some money. You may love the idea of this book, too, but that's not the point. (I guess you could have a book that fits both your heart and your wallet, but I'm not in that place right now.)

So, what I've got is a couple highly marketable ideas, and one book whose premise is totally off the wall. Eventually, I'm going to write them all, but which one should I do now?

Hmmmmm.....

One thing I decided to do was right a blurb for the heart book. I guess I figured if I could blurb it, it was ready to be written. Umm, yeah. It's not blurbing for me. (This may not mean anything, though. I know some authors who write the blurb or the synopsis first, but my writing synapses don't work that way.) I did spend about an hour, and got a fairly good outline of the beginning, but the rest is dragging its feet.

On the other hand, I already have a hefty chunk and an outline for one of the commercial novels. I have a pretty good idea for the premise of another (although that one keeps shifting between two alternate means of getting from point A to point B). Both of these could sell.

The other book? Not so much.

But it's been kicking around in my skull for a couple of years now, and frankly, it's becoming a bit of a pest in there.

I'm not usually this indecisive. Really. So, I'm asking you. Since I have some free time, and I'm not nailed to a contract or anything yet, which direction do you think I should go? Write one of the commercial novels or stick with the bizarre one that won't leave me alone?

Or should I give writing new words a break and just get some editing done? (Truth be told, I love writing new words and I love editing, I just love new words more. Maybe that'll be another post...)

.

No comments: