Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Saturday, July 28, 2007

The Flying Leap

Taking the big leap, I'm prepping a packet to send to a publisher. I know, bypassing the agent step isn't always the best way to go, but in this case, I'm just taking a flying jump into the fray.

"Why" you ask?

Look at it as trying something new. I haven't exhausted all the possible agents in the world, but when I heard about a well-known publisher who's taking unagented submissions, I figured I'd give it a go. Nothing ventured; nothing gained.

The packet will consist of the first 57 pages of Nature of Destruction (Caldera), my nifty neat synopsis, and a yet-to-be-written cover letter. (And always the handy-dandy SASE.) They're asking for the first three chapters or the first 40-60 pages, and since this book's first three amount to 85 pages, I decided to give them the first two and the beginning of chapter 3. The first two probably would meet their requirements--ending at pg 50--but the first scenes in chapter 3 are so essential, I'm jumping at the chance to include them, too.

Additionally, their idea of a synopsis is 3-10 pages, and as I'm sure you all know (and are sick of hearing about by now) mine is just over 1 page. So, my nifty neat synopsis is going to have to expand to meet their needs. After the slice and dice I did on it, it's not going to be an easy task, but I'm going to suck it up and do it anyway. Besides, any writing is good practice for the future. Right?

Anyway, with any luck, the packet will be heading out Monday morning. Then comes the waiting game. The expected lead time on this submission is posted as 4-6 months. Maybe I'll get some Christmas news. ;o)

If I do, I'll post it here as soon as I get it.

1 comment:

Tia Nevitt said...

Wow; good luck! I'm actually considering doing the same thing. But I'm not quite ready yet.