Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Saturday, August 11, 2007

School Daze

Well, it's that time again. After a summer filled with being lazy, the new school year has finally arrived. Tomorrow, I start 9th grade.

Ummm, no. Not me. At least not as a student. I'm a couple decades and then some away from my freshman year.

I'm talking about homeschool and my daughter. I start back to teaching on Monday. Thank goodness, she doesn't require 100% of my time during school, or I'd be too bushed to think about writing between now and June. She's a fairly self-sufficient young lady, so I give her the assignments, we have discussion periods, she comes to me with any questions, but for the most part, she does her thing and I do mine. Other than checking her work to make sure she's doing her assignments right, I'm just an interested observer.

All in all, she's a pretty cool kid. Don't get me wrong. She's a teenager, so we have our little squabbles now and then. But they're nowhere near as frequent or as bad as when she was in public school. Smart as a whip, too.

And from what she told me a couple days ago, she's started her first novel. I told her if she publishes before I do I'll hate her for the rest of her life support her fully. ;o)

So, this year we'll be finishing up the Geometry we didn't get through last year, after which we'll get into Beginning Algebra (college level). We're working on Writing - with most of the assignments geared toward either essays for scholarship competitions, or prepping for said essays. In Literature, we'll be starting off perusing a novel called Silverlock - which is woven quite masterfully with characters/situations from the classics as well as different mythologies - and she'll be finding literary references for those characters/situations. We also have Biology, History and Public Speaking (because I think it's never too early to learn how to speak in front of other people).

It should be a fun year. Think back to your own school days and tell me about any fun or interesting assignments you had. I'm always on the lookout for new material.

No comments: