Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

First Beta, Etc.

Well, my very first beta reader finished Blink yesterday - she's a quick reader - and she pointed out some things that I'm going to have to fix before I can say I'm done. Lucky for me, I have a live-in beta in my daughter. She loves the book, but she pointed out some sticky problems. Good for her, good for me. Unfortunately, she also hit on the identity of the spy way too soon. (Did I mention she's also observant?) I didn't want the identity to be so obvious, so I'll have to fix that, too. Plus, she has a list of typos for me to correct.

It's all good.

In other news:

Diana Peterfreund has an interesting exercise thing going on today (and she may give a prize). She wants people to come up with a fake "Publisher's Lunch" announcement. I sat down just now and tried to come up with one, and it's harder than it looks. But it's a good exercise in trying to encapsulate your novel into just a quick one-liner. I gave up on the one-liner for Blink, but it did encourage me to work on my blurb. A few more tweaks of the book and of the blurb, and it'll be ready for the beta search.

What's up in your world today?

No comments: