Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Genre and Sub-genre

I suck at genres. I can't decide whether a book is a thriller or suspense, literary or commercial, science fiction or fantasy. Particularly right now with Blink - which I think is literary and perhaps speculative fiction, but who knows.

With this in mind, I'd like to throw out a couple links for those of you who, like me, suck at genres.

Yesterday, BookEnds had an excellent post on sub-genres which clears up some of the mystery/suspense stuff - A Sub-genre Encyclopedia. (And for those of you waiting with baited breath for their Query Critique - they started posting the critiques this morning.)

For a more in-depth look at genre descriptions, AgentQuery has posted a helpful page called Fiction Genre Descriptions. (AQ, if you haven't stopped by there, is an excellent resource for finding the right agent for your work.)

I admit it. I'm not a sparkling wit myself today. I spent all day yesterday scrubbing the house until it shines. The realtor is taking pictures inside today, and I hated the thought of people seeing a mess in here. (No matter how minor it might have seemed to others, it was horrible to me.) So, I'm tired and I'm hoping to get some down time later.

Sorry I didn't have anything original to say, but I hope the links help you.

No comments: