Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Friday, June 29, 2007

Middle of the Night Writing Ends in Rewrite

Don't ya just hate when you're up in the middle of the night--can't sleep for one reason or another--so you try to do something productive and write. Only to find out the next day that you went completely off track and everything you wrote needs to be deleted?

Ack.

Anyway. I wrote about 300 words last night between 12:30 and 1:30am. I looked at it today and wondered what the hell I was thinking. I snipped the whole damn thing and started that part of the scene over. Thank goodness. It came out so much better now that I'm mostly awake. (Or I should say, thank the nap I took after dinner because otherwise, I'd be sleeping now instead of writing.)

The revision ended up at 520 new words. I'm not counting the lost crap toward my daily goal.

Don't ya just hate it?

3 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Sounds very frustrating. I never actually write when I can't sleep, but I often think about my writing, sometimes I have good ideas, and occasionally I can still remember them in the morning!

B.E. Sanderson said...

I get some of my best ideas while I'm trying to fall asleep. If I don't get up and write them down, though, I lose them entirely.

Wendy Roberts said...

I sometimes write in the middle of the night. It started when my kidlets were babies and would wake up for feedings. I hate when it ends up needing a total rewrite though :( Although that mostly happens if I'm drinking wine while I write LOL