Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Monday, August 18, 2008

Sophomore Year - Day One

Since this was the first day of school*, I've been a little busy to think of a good blog topic today. At least for this blog. I posted something over at HomeEd Musings to celebrate a great first day.

Have you started school yet? If not, when will the little nippers be off?

*Not for me, silly. I'm a homeschooling mom.

As an aside, I've read other writers' blogs where they talk about the writing time they'll have once their kids go back to school. That's about the only thing I miss about my daughter going to public school - free time during the day once summer is over. As it is now, the majority of my free time comes during the summer, and once school starts, I'm confined to early morning or after dinner. (Unless she's studying on her own, and then I might be able to get some editing in. I'm going to try that tomorrow and see how it goes. Wish me luck. :wink:)

3 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Homeschooling must be such hard work but so rewarding.

My two go back to school in September but it doesn't really make a difference to my writing day as they are a little older now and I work during the day anyway.

Wendy Roberts said...

My kids go back on September 2nd and, yes, I'm counting the days! Can't wait for the free time to write, write, write!

On the other hand,I strongly considered homeschooling and still often wonder if I'm doing the right thing although they're in small private schools so it's a nice alternative.

B.E. Sanderson said...

It was more work when she was younger, but now that she's self-sufficient, I'm more like a tutor or a mentor. We have discussions, I answer her questions, grade assignments (which leads to more discussions). I set up the curriculum and monitor everything, but she does the work. It is rewarding, but every once in a while I miss the days of 7-8 hours by myself. ;o)

I'm jealous, Wendy. Homeschooling isn't for everyone. I have the time, and although sometimes I have to learn right along with her, I'm not doing bad. I decided to do it because she just wasn't getting any kind of education in a regular school setting. (Long story.) And the public schools here stink. Of course, I don't know anything about the schools in Canada. Yours are probably better than what I have here in BFE, especially since yours are private.