Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Lesson Learned

I learned a lesson years ago, or at least I thought I had--Never offer your writings up to be read until you have let them simmer, re-read them, thought about them carefully, and then edited them thoroughly. I don't know why I thought writings for this blog were somehow outside that lesson. So, I posted what I thought was a cogent and reasonable blog entry yesterday.

And it is why I deleted it this morning.

Part of the reason I go through the whole simmer, stir, taste, revise, etc. thing is so I don't put my foot in my mouth. Another part is so I don't end up looking and feeling like an idiot. But the biggest part of it is so I don't tarnish myself as a writer.

Blogging is no different than writing an essay for publication. If I wouldn't feel comfortable sending something to CapMag (for example) than I shouldn't plop it down here.

To any of you who read yesterday's post: I apologize. It won't happen again.

1 comment:

Janimé said...

I didn't catch yesterday's post, but I can't imagine it was all that bad :)

That said, I agree that it's a good idea to let things simmer before commmitting them - whether for a blog, web page, book or even an email.