Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Two Down (aka Update)

Last night I received a rejection from Glimmertrain for my piece "The Mirror". This follows a rejection from The Pedestal Magazine on my piece "Haudego". Glimmertrain still has my piece "Fire" and Ploughshares still has my poem "The World is Mine", so there's hope. I'll be spending some time today looking for a new home for the rejected pieces and for another piece I haven't sent out yet. I'm not sweating the rejections. After all, I picked some of the most selective magazines to submit to. (Hey! I believe one should always start at the top and work your way down. You'll never now how high you could have gone if you start too far down the list.)

It all comes down to two things: finding the right places to send a particular piece, and sending it out to as many of them as possible. If you target your markets properly, and write the best work possible, you'll eventually make a sale. And in the meantime, write write write. Polish your stuff; write more stuff; polish that, too; research markets. And submit. (Lather rinse repeat as needed.)

Today looks like a good day for getting some work done, especially as my little corner of the world looks like it's enclosed in a snow-globe. I won't be driving anywhere any time soon. My little car would get stuck in no time. So the schedule for the day is writing and teaching and more writing.

Back later. =oD

No comments: