Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Friday, April 11, 2008

I'm Back

Yesterday with all its problem was a PITA to the nth degree. As far as I can tell only one of the many calls was important, and they called back last night. (Not an agent, though, dang it.)

Thanks to the awesomeness of my local phone repair person - who was working on my phone at 6pm last night in near blizzard conditions - I'm static free and my DSL hasn't gone down once this morning. Yay.

On the upside, I got a lot of crocheting done (I'm two-thirds finished with my huge blanket), and while I crochet, I plot in my head. I didn't do any actual writing, but I got some things worked out so I can sit down tonight and bang out a few more scenes. I'm loving how this new book is working out. I can't wait to finish and send it out to my CP and BRs to read.

You know, Agatha Christie once said: "The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes." I think she was onto something there, but it's not just dishes. It's any activity where you can let your mind wander while you do it. For me, it was always while I was outside having a cigarette, but now I can also include while I crochet.

What are some activities where your muse seems to be more active?

2 comments:

WordVixen said...

The shower. Always the shower. I don't know if it's because there are few distractions, or if it's because my brain likes to torture me since it knows that the second I step out of the shower it'll immediately forget any hint of the major break throughs I made.

And if I don't immediately forget? DH has the most amazing timing for demanding immediate attention until I forget.

JenWriter said...

Subway rides when I'm not reading, right before falling asleep and on walks. The right before falling asleep thing gets old.

Also, sometimes when someone is talking to me and someone else or several others. This also never turns out well because I'm then asked what I'm staring at on the wall.