Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

When Routines Go Awry

I can't believe I forgot to post yesterday. Actually, though, when I think about it, I'm not surprised. Yesterday was almost a total wash.

You see, we have a routine. Yesterday (and probably for the rest of this week) the routine went awry and it totally blew any thought of the blog away. It happens every year at this time, which means not only a total piffle in the writing department, but a burp in the school year for my daughter. The cause of this wrinkle?

The CSAPs. It's short for Colorado Student Assessment Program, and even though my daughter is homeschooled, she takes them to meet with the state's homeschooling laws. (Kids have to be assessed every other year by law, and this is easiest for us.) But more about that another time.

Needless to say, I take her down to get the test over the course of four days (three this week, one next). She does the thing, and then walks to the library where I'll be able to pick her up without either of us having to sit around waiting. (Me waiting by the phone for her call to be picked up, or her waiting in the office for me to get there.) I could work during this time, but then I'd probably get wrapped up in writing and forget, which would lead to the eventual call: "Mo-om? My time on the computers is up. Are you ever coming to get me?" So, I don't even try to get any writing done.

Yesterday she had one test. Today she has two - back to back with a twenty minute break. Tomorrow is the most fun of all - three tests with lunch in the middle. Ack. Then we get the weekend and another two tests next week. Talk about dumping a whole boatload of distractions in the middle of a week. The only thing either of us got done yesterday was some heavy duty crocheting. (Home Ec for her, and non-brain taxing activity for me.)

Sorry this is a rambling post, but that's what I mean about what happens to me when my routine gets derailed. I never thought of myself as an orderly person with regard to time (especially since I quit working outside the house), and then this happened. Thinking about it this morning, I realize I need my routines more than I thought I did.

After next week and the end of the CSAPs, we'll have to get back into the swing of things. That's the hardest part of all.

What about you? Are you a slave to your routines? When they get derailed, do you crash along with them, or can you pick right up where you left off?

On a side note: I'm to the point where I completely hate my hair, so I'm getting a totally new 'do this afternoon. I don't know if I've said this before, but I rarely get the same cut twice. Something about a new hairstyle perks me right up. It's never anything weird, but just something different. If it turns out right, maybe you'll see a new pic on the blog, and please don't hesitate to tell me if you think it looks like my head went through a blender. ;o)

Update: They screwed me again. Someone messed up the schedule and there are three tests today instead of two. Arrgghh. Is it really any wonder I homeschool?

No comments: