Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Friday, March 28, 2008

WYSIWYG Person

If you aren't familiar with the term WYSIWYG, it's a computer acronym that stands for 'What you see is what you get'. When I first heard this term years ago, it struck me that I am a WYSIWYG person.

With me, what you see is really what you get. I don't do artifice well. I have a tough time even in real life hiding my thoughts, feelings, opinions... which is part of the reason why most of the people in this burg don't know me other than in passing. It's also the reason why I don't play poker in person - everyone would know my hand's strength the minute I looked at it. But I digress...

This morning as I was reading my blogroll, the issue of writers having a website/online presence came up again, and I was reminded of the web presence I present to the world. (Or more specifically potential agents.) I would hope that anyone reading this blog likes me and likes what I have to say, but realistically, not everyone will. *shrug* C'est la vie.

For one thing, I know that the URL for this blog isn't for everyone. Atlas Shrugged was the inspiration for my i-shrugged, and that book is the kind you either love or you hate. I use the phrase because that's basically what I did. I worked in the corporate world, using my writing talents for everyone but myself. Then I shrugged. (If you haven't read the book, it's basically a euphemism for walking away from your job and working for your own benefit.) Now I write for myself, and while I haven't seen any financial benefits from it yet, I've gained so much personally, it's been worth it.

I also know my opinions here might not sit well with certain people. This is part of the reason why I don't often talk about politics, current events, celebrities, etc. (The other part is I don't really want this to be that type of blog, but that's not germane to the point of this post.)

The point is, I realize this blog might not be doing the best at forwarding my career. I know this, and I accept it. I can't be what I'm not. I'm an opinionated poker-playing, crocheting, cussing, smoking, home-schooling, slightly brain-damaged and mostly good-natured, ex-Michigander housewife who writes prolifically and whose writing entertains as well as niggles at the thought process. Similar to Atlas Shrugged, those who know me either really like me or really dislike me - depending on their own philosophies of life.

I can live with that.

Or in the words of Popeye: "I am what I am" - a WYSIWYG person. I can only hope that someday I find a WYSIWYG agent to represent me.

Now you tell me your thoughts on the subject. If you were an agent, would this blog turn you off? Would you even care? And btw, how's your poker face?

3 comments:

Kristen Painter said...

I think your blog is fine! But I have no poker face. I might have a shopping face, tho.

JenWriter said...

I think it depends on the type of agent. If it were me, I would not be turned off by your blog because by reading it, I can tell that you are serious and passionate about writing. I can see the level of dedication you have, and to me, that's more important than if I don't share all of your opinions. But I'm not an agent.

My poker face is terrible. My boyfriend tells me that I could never be sneaky because I'm the easiest person to read.

WordVixen said...

Actually, I think that if I were an agent I'd be impressed by your blog. How else would an agent know how hard working you are and how seriously you take your work? That you have plenty of ideas and are serious about building a career?

It's obvious to anyone who reads your blog, but wouldn't be obvious from a query letter. And the manuscript itself only shows how hard you worked on that manuscript. This blog is a great example of your work ethic.

As for poker face, I always think that I'm readable- but the more I let my feelings show, the more my opponents (uh, I mean... friends) think that I'm bluffing the other way. The more I let go, the more I win! I usually make second place.