Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lost Ideas

As I was laying in bed last night trying to sleep, I came up with the perfect post for today. I had it all mapped out and half-written. And then I fell asleep.

Now it's gone. Toast. Lost to the circadian rhythms and the land of Nod.

This isn't the first time it's happened to me either, and not just with blog posts. I've lost awesome book ideas that way. For some reason, ideas seem to come to me as I'm falling asleep, and by morning, they're gone. All that's left is the memory that I was onto something.

Once when I was living in Michigan, I was driving to my next appointment and while at a stoplight, I looked into the eyes of the man across the intersection. In that instant, I felt a shock go through me like I was looking into my future. He was just an average guy - kind of good looking but not supermodel or even star quality. It was just something that felt important. Then the light turned green and he drove away. I admit I didn't move until the car behind me honked. I made a u-turn and went in search of his white pick-up - although in retrospect, it was just stupid to think I could find him, and even if I did, he was probably all wrong for me. (And it's all moot, since I found Mr. Perfect years later in an entirely different state.) But the point is, that feeling is about the same one I get when I wake up the morning after a great story idea that's now gone. Like I missed something important.

For the most part, I've learned my lesson. When an idea strikes me, I weigh how great it is and if I don't think it's worth losing, I get my butt out of bed to write it down. If it's not that great, I go to sleep. (With the guy thing... Well, let's just say I didn't let my husband get away.)

Hopefully, the really awesome blog idea will come back. If not, there's always another one out there somewhere. We'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love it that you turned and followed him!

Travis Erwin said...

I lose lots of good ideas to sleep as well.