Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Sunday, March 30, 2008

ACK!

I knew this was going to happen, but just not this way. Sooner or later, if I wait long enough, the writing bug comes back and I'm salivating to get to work. In the past, I long to get back to writing my WIP. I miss the characters. I miss seeing what they're going to do.

I'm at that point now. The only problem is, it's not my WIP I'm drooling over. It's a story idea I had last year that recently popped back into my head. I went to bed last night and the damn thing wriggled itself into my near unconscious mind. The premise, the beginning, the general outline... all there. It was good stuff, but breaking my bedtime rule, I went to sleep instead of getting up to write it all down. This time I actually hoped I'd forget it. I wasn't ready to write it anyway. I'm in the middle of another book, damn it. I need to finish what I've already started.

I woke up with it in my head. Damn pushy story.

It's zippy. It's thrilling. I love the characters already and I haven't even named them yet.

But I can't write it yet. I can't. I still have my other book to finish, and it's a very marketable story, with bigtime series potential. The almost-forgotten WIP could be my BIG BREAK. And suddenly, I don't care.

Crap.

I don't want to set my WIP aside, but I know I'm probably going to. When you think about it, it's still going to be there after I finish this new idea. They're ALL still going to be there.

Whether I get back to them or not... We'll have to wait and see what the future brings. Right now, this sucker can't wait.

*sigh*

Ever have a damn pushy story idea? Have you ever stopped in the middle of one story to write another? If so, do you ever go back to the first story?

BTW, a big thanks to Allison Brennan, who unconsciously reminded me of this story idea and is most likely the reason why it's pestering me now. (Not sarcasm - I really do thank her.) If you haven't read her books, what are you waiting for? Seriously. Get out there and get reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have - and I haven't given in...I allowed my self to write two pages and then mind mappped everything spinning in my head down. When I was young I had a history of never finishing anything particularly sweaters I had started so now I enforce discipline on myself for good or bad I don't know!