Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Monday, September 15, 2008

Cornucopia of Musings

Not sleeping really does wonders for working. Lemme tell ya. I didn't expect to work tonight. Hell, I went to bed an hour and a half ago. But after laying there for over thirty minutes, I figured I was doing more harm than good. Tossing and turning doesn't help me get to sleep, and I'm sure it didn't help my husband to get to sleep either. So I said screw it, and got up. Fired the old computer alive again, and went to work on my synopsis. I'm up to 1300+ words. yay.

In other news today, I began sorting through boxes to decide which stuff gets moved and what gets thrown out. I filled a big gray Hefty with shredded old manuscript pages, and another bag with any non-essential paperwork with dates older than '07. Three boxes empty that weren't before, and the keepers stuffed into a fourth box that was full before. Another yay there. Good thing I worked for a brief time shredding medical records--the shredder wasn't moving fast enough, so about 500 pages got ripped into nice one inch-ish strips. (Who knew after all these years I still had the hang of it? *shrug*)

Of course, we still don't have a new place to live, but I can't wait forever to get started on this. I'm trying to look on the bright side: This is the perfect time to sort through old crap and toss it. I used to be a horrible packrat, but after all the times I've moved, I've learned to part with stuff. (Except for that bag my mother gave me with all my old report cards and papers she thought were important enough to keep, and old school pictures. I've got the same stuff saved for my daughter, too.)

Today on the news, they interviewed a woman who ignored the evacuation order for Hurricane Ike. Her and her husband spent the night sleeping on boards stretched across ladders, with their pets stuffed in the attic. I guess the thought was that it wouldn't get that bad. Ummm... I knew it would get that bad, and I live in Colorado. The NWS issued a statement saying that sticking around could be fatal. That sounds pretty bad to me. It's like people who ignore tornado sirens and then wonder why their whole family is dead - even though they had a perfectly good basement. (I hope wherever our new house is, it has a basement. Tornados are scary enough without having to hide under the stairs or curl up in the bathtub with a kid and a cat.) Evacuation orders are there for a reason, people. Thankfully, most people got the hell out of Dodge when they heard Ike was coming, and the loss of life was low. I'm sorry anyone had to die in that thing, but it could've been much worse.

Okay, sleep is finally knocking at my frontal lobe. Hopefully I'll still be sleeping when you're reading this, but it's doubtful. School day tomorrow. And more house hunting.

Good night, all.

.

1 comment:

Kristen Painter said...

Wow - awesome job on the word count. I couldn't sleep either, but chose to catch up on DVR'd shows. lol

And I hear you about evacuating. If they say go, GO.