Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yesterday's AWOL

Sorry I went AWOL yesterday. Chalk it up to life intruding on the blog. Or call it a case of the lazies. I didn't get my hour of writerly work done either.

I got some reading done, but that's doesn't count... Does it? I finished Foundation by Asimov, and there were some interesting ways he wrote that are good to know, so I guess if I wanted to, I could fudge.

I'm not a fudger, though.

The next book I started is Mike Shayne's 50th Case by Brett Halliday. Hard boiled detective genre. This is pleasure and research, definitely. My next book(s) will be along this vein, albeit with a chick PI and with humor. I plan on reading some Gardner and Spillane, too, just to get in the mood.

What are you reading right now? Is it for pleasure or for research? For that matter, do you read fiction as research?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Since I'd like to write children's fiction (middle grade to YA), most of what I read falls in that genre. And it IS research, really, but I certainly enjoy it. On the other hand, I DO occasionally yearn for a book written for "big kids." I just finished "Flying Dutch" by Tom Holt (I like my funny Brits) whom I just discovered and thoroughly enjoyed.