Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Thursday, January 3, 2008

What Keeps You in the Zone?

Last night I lost my internet connection, and for some stupid reason, it derailed me completely. I mean, it's not like I need the internet to write. But while I'm writing, I take little mini-breaks to check my e-mail, update my daily writing stats, look things up online (for instance, the word unslung isn't recognized by MS Word, but I was sure it was a real word, so I looked it up online).

No internet; no writerly work.

Silly ol' bear.

This got me to thinking about the other things we need to write. Some people can't write without a particular pen, or without sitting in a certain place or listening to a certain type of music. Some writers need everything just so before they can create, and other only need one key element to keep them in the zone.

I didn't think I was one of those writers until last night. I don't know why it was I couldn't seem to make myself write while my computer was offline. Years ago I did it. Hell, years ago online didn't exist, and as I said in a post a few days ago, I was plunking away on a manual of all things. So why? *shrug*

Just one of those things I guess. So, the question of the day is: What do you need to have in order to write?

If you think the answer is nothing, like I did, then think again. Maybe you just haven't found it yet, but it's out there waiting for that one day when it's gone and you're stuck twiddling your thumbs, watching the same episode of your favorite show for the gazillionth time.

6 comments:

Jen said...

God, it's hideous when the internet breaks down, isn't it? Makes me feel cut off from civilisation and as for having to look things up in a real, ten-ton dictionary, aaarrrghhh!

I have to have peace and quiet. A drink: tea/wine/anything really.

And cheesecake. Oh no, I made that one up. Might be worth a try though?

X

Rachel Green said...

I can't write without the net either. I always need to look up an obscure fact like chocolate bars of the 1970s. I also need a drink - tea or water.

Lucy said...

I need my fountain pen and whatever notebook I'm recording my WIP in. Music and a yummy drink are an added bonus. ;)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Keyboard and screen. I don't need the Internet (well, I do for research, but I can manage without it for a day or two) but I can't cope at all if I'm reduced to pen and paper.

Erica Ridley said...

I "need" to have a computer. In an ideal world, also Internet, so I can do thesaurus and dictionary and google and wikipedia, but more than anything the ability to type speeds my process immensely. Writing by hand is just too slow.

That said, I've managed to scribble out a page or three while hanging out in the waiting room with a notebook before, so never say never...

Alex Adams said...

Yup, I absolutely need the internet too, otherwise I freak the heck out. Gotsta have it!