Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Monday, October 15, 2007

Nobel Prizes and Other Useless Junk

I love Ray Bradbury. I know it's up there as my quote of the day, but it bears repeating: "The human race likes to give itself airs. One good volcano can produce more greenhouse gases in a year than the human race has in its entire history."

If you've been reading along, you probably know I don't talk much about current events. I try very hard not to get involved in the debates that are being waged across the net. (In fact, I refuse to debate, so I don't bother to offer my opinions here.) This place is for writing, not politics.

But something happened this weekend that made me so incredibly nauseous, and so unbelievably pissed, it was hard to not say anything. I was so good. I didn't say a word. But then this morning, I read a blog about how today is the day all good bloggers are supposed to talk about things they're doing to improve the environment, and well... I lost it.

Al Gore won a Nobel Prize. Want to improve the environment? Use Al's book as fertilizer. That's about all it's good for. The Brits know it, so why are so many Americans gullible enough to believe his crap is anything more than propaganda (and not even believable propaganda at that).
All I can say is thank goodness for the guys at Junk Science - all the junk that's fit to debunk - who've been against this BS from the beginning.

So, you'll forgive me if I don't jump on the environmentalist bandwagon today. Today, do what I do on Earth Day (another hippy-dippy day designed solely to make humans feel guilty for being human) and waste some paper. The paper forests of Northern Michigan will thank you for it. (I've been through them, and they are things of infinite beauty. Millions of trees growing quickly to give me something to write on. To be harvested and replanted in a glorious cycle of productive achievement... But I digress.)

I'll just leave you with one final thought:




 *Image deleted to prevent any potential copyright issues*
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000321.html


(And as always, my opinions are strictly my own. I don't apologize for them and I don't debate them. If you have a dissenting opinion, please take it elsewhere. Nasty comments won't be posted. Thank you for your time.)

1 comment:

WordVixen said...

Thank you for bringing this up. I heard them talking about it on the news and laughed my butt off. They were claiming that until Al Gore's movie and book, people really didn't know about global warming.

What????

It's bad enough that people are convinced using one square of toilet paper will save the earth- but did you hear about the calculations? They figured out that if all the environmentalists are correct about global warming, that if you removed every human from the face of the planet, it would only prolong the planet's life by 200 years.

I'm all for recycling and sparing gas (mostly because we're running out of it, and it costs a fortune), but some people take it waaay too far.