Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Monday, October 1, 2007

Oh Spammy Boy

I don't get tons of junk mail, so I really shouldn't be complaining, but then again, since I don't get tons, each piece really stands out.

Thanks to Google and their wonderful invention - gmail - I don't even have to look at it if I don't want to. Unfortunately, sometimes gmail puts real mail in that folder, so I still look. Yesterday I received a particularly annoying piece, and thought I would share a little about it here.

First off, the subject was 'amateur writing' (just like that with no caps). I immediately assumed it was someone who took issue with one of my blogs. Nothing like a little hate-mail to get the blood pumpin'.

Next, the salutation says 'Bes'. First off, that's not my real name. The only people who would think that's my real name, also think my last name is Anderson. Which it ain't.

Then he goes on to say how much he likes my blog. (Ummm, if you were reading my blog, you'd know enough to not call me Bes. I know I just use initials, but I respond to B.E. without getting testy.) The letter further goes on to tell me about some writing project he and others are getting started where they give the first and last chapters and the other participants fill in the rest.

Okay, if I haven't said it before, let me say it now: I don't collaborate. Maybe someday in the future when I find one person I know and trust - someone whose writing style is similar and whose committment matches my own, someone whose philosophy of life mirrors my own - they maybe, just maybe, I'll consider collaborating on a project. Maybe someday I'll consent to work on a project where several writers contribute short stories in the same world (like Witchy Business, which I spoke about a couple weeks ago). But collaborate with a stew of other people just winging it? Umm... NO.

Lastly, the guy gives me a link to his website (which I won't post here). I don't follow links unless I know and trust the sender implicitly. This guy? Yeah right. If you're inclined to follow links from strangers, you're likely to get something nasty on your computer. (Nothing like a little Internet VD.)

Anyway, just to make sure I wasn't getting my undies in a bunch about something legit, I googled the guy. The only sites where his name shows up look shady - with company names very similar to his, making him look like a great guy. (I also didn't click the links there, because even google links can lead to IVD, or at the very least some disgusting pictures. Ack.)

Needless to say, I shot the email off to Victoria Strauss of WriterBeware.

I was just going to forget about the whole thing, but this morning, the subject line started to piss me off. 'amateur'??? WTF? You talkin' to me? Are YOU talkin' to me? I didn't spend all day yesterday sitting here writing a professional synopsis and I don't spend countless hours working on perfecting my writing to be called an 'amateur'. You want a piece a me?

Anyway, I'm sure Victoria and Ann will sniff this guy out, and if he's a predator, they'll post something about him so everyone else can be cautious about him.

Damn spam.

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Hell hath no fury like a talented writer incorrectly called amatuer.

Kristen Painter said...

Every once in a while, I get a piece of Spam with the funniest subject line. None of them seem to be personal tho.

On a side note, you don't need a password for Barbara Vey's blog - their just having issues with the PW site. Reading the PW blogs is totally free. Try again tomorrow!

Alex Adams said...

I hate spammers. I want a button on my keyboard that I can press and have a massive electric shock shoot through their wobbly bits every time they send me spam.

Spy Scribbler said...

Gmail has been tossing out my regular mail into the spam folder, daggonit!

Otherwise, I love it!