Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Philosophy? Pt 2

As promised, here's another bit of musing about philosophy as it pertains to writing (and to life in general).

I'm sure you all read the word 'philosophy' and groaned--your minds full of thoughts of Death Valley dry and boring men who died hundreds or thousands of years ago. Lord knows that's what I thought when I signed up for a philosophy course in college. (Of course, I also thought it would be a blow-off course, and I would breeze through it to an A. Heh.)

I'm not going to teach philosophy here. I'm not qualified. I'm just here to open your minds to the possibility that your lives are influenced by it. Years ago, I would have laughed in your face if you'd told me my life was influenced by mummified old men I'd never even heard of. (Feel free to pause and laugh here.)

I don't even remember which ones pushed which tenets of philosophy any more. I have a vague recollection of Immanual Kant being a particularly rabid little bugger, though. I think he was the guy to whom we can contribute something called the "Malevolent Universe". (And if it's not him, don't kill me. Whether it was Kant or not is moot. Whichever one did it, screwed the world.)

One example of the Malevolent Universe philosophy: "Life's a bitch and then you die." Who hasn't heard or said that little ditty? Think about that phrase though. We throw it off the cuff--it's cute, it's catchy, and it makes a nice t-shirt (bumper sticker... Etc.) It also is a horrible way to look at life. Basically when you say it, you're saying that life is horrible and it always will be horrible, and the only way out of it is death. (And when you think about it, is it any wonder suicide's so rampant when the prevailing mindset is like that?)

Again, what does this have to do with writing? Well, for one thing, whatever your philosophy is, it will become the prevailing philosophy of your work. Your characters will behave according to that philosophy, and their actions and reactions will happen under its influence. If you believe man is ineffectual and life is hopeless, your characters will act accordingly. Things will happen TO your characters, and all they can do is react to those things. They won't ever make things happen. What's the point?

And another thing: Whatever your philosophy is, you have the ability to influence the thinking of others through your writing. So, when you think about your own philosophy of life, you need to ask yourself if it's one you want spreading throughout your readers. Do you spread the "Life's a bitch" philosophy, or do you spread "Ain't Life Grand?" - a philosophy where man is powerful and able and happy?

Which one would you want to read? Or better yet, which one would you want your loved ones reading?

(To be continued.)

No comments: