Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Why Mental Meanderings are Good.

Okay, I'm a writer. The more my mind wanders, the more stories I can come up with. The more story ideas I come up with, the more I have to choose from when I want to start something new. (I keep them all in a file on my harddrive... If they make it off the bits and scraps of paper lying around the house, that is.)

My brain scans through dozens of possibilities all the time. Happily, a lot of this goes on in the background while I'm doing other things - cooking, showering, smoking, playing poker. So it doesn't really interfere with my life. Unfortunately, it also occurs while I'm having conversations. I can't count how many times I've looked up into a pair of confused eyes because I've gone off into my own little filing cabinet of a brain. Thank goodness my friends realize I'm not being rude intentionally, and my husband knows every time I'm in my own world, it means I'm writing--which he totally supports. The few people I encounter who don't understand get slightly miffed, but such is life.

If you're like me, don't think of it as an affliction, but revel in it. It means your brain is too busy to be bothered with the day-to-day goings on of everyday life. Or...

It means you're a writer. ;o)

2 comments:

Alex Adams said...

OMG, we're brain twins! :D

B.E. Sanderson said...

Cool. I've never had a brain-twin before. Although, I'd be very afraid if I were you. My brain should come with warning labels. LOL

;o)