Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Thursday, January 4, 2007

Research and Opinion

If you've been reading along, you may have gotten the sense that I am very big on research. (And if you haven't, please understand, I'm a friggin' nut about it.) Probably because I am very big on fact and reality.

If you're going to write about something in reality, for godsakes, make sure you know what the hell you're talking about. Even if you're writing fiction. Especially if your fiction touches on something real. (I spent untold hours researching locations for my novels just so I could get them right. For instance, I've never been to Washington, D.C. but I now know where a person would have to stand at the Jefferson Memorial in order to have the sunset behind them.) If you can't get the facts straight, you'll come off looking like a hack.

But I digress...

I am posting this mainly in response to a pervading tendency to whip off articles and editorials--in essence, opinion pieces (OP)--without doing the research to back them up. (or in some case, not doing enough research.) And yes, you do have to do some research before you write even an OP.

Okay, I can hear you shouting "Why should I have to research my OPINION?"

Well, just because someone has an opinion doesn't make it right. How'd they arrive at their opinion? Did they read something, or did they hear something, or are they just giving their feelings about the topic? (Years ago, I was of the opinion Rachel Carson was believable... but more about that in another post.) Unfortunately, few people arrive at their opinions on their own.

So, before you run off at the mouth, spouting your opinions for the world to read or hear, go do some research (with multiple sources, please) and then ask yourself who gave you your opinion, and...

Were they right?

2 comments:

Janimé said...

Well said!

I rarely hand a serious opinion out, other than in casual conversation with my DH, precisely because I lack the time to do the research needed to truly back my positions up. I don't want to go spouting things off half-a**ed.

I have unfortunately known people who are the opposite. Not only will they not do any research, they'll make "facts" up as they go along to support their positions. Yikes!!

All that said, I can give my decided opinion about chocolate. I have thoroughly researched that topic and pronounce it a marvelous substance that should be ingested on a daily basis! ;)

B.E. Sanderson said...

I'm not saying people can't go off spouting half-assed things. (I do it sometimes, myself.) They just shouldn't talk about their opinions like they're facts. ;o)

I never have any doubts about you, Jan. You're one of the few people I can point to and say 'she knows what she's talking about'. Maybe that's because you are wise enough to think before you speak. =o)