Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Sunday, April 15, 2007

WTF

Over the past few days I've been trying to find more quotes to add to my database, so I can continue to provide a daily quote without getting too repetitive. I use Barlett's Familiar Quotations for the most part, and it's always done well for me in the past. Typically what I do is type a word into the site's search engine and then go through it reading all the quotes that come up.

Yesterday I was looking for something inspirational, so I plugged in the word 'beauty'. Boy, was I disappointed. How depressing to be looking for beauty and find people trashing the concept. Feh. Today, I plugged in the word 'joy' - much better but still a few negative comments.

But what is wrong with the world when a simple concept like beauty draws so many negative comments? I won't quote any of them here, but geez, guys, give it a rest. There is beauty in the world, and there's nothing wrong with that. Beauty is not a negative concept. One person's beauty is not an insult to those who aren't beautiful. (And anyone who would say so has got some major self-esteem issues, IMO.)

Of course, there are certain specific people whose quotes I don't bother reading - because they are never positive, and frequently trash things like beauty, honor, integrity, truth... Those values should never be trashed by anyone, and yet some twisted thing inside these people make them want to spit on the good.

Sometimes I just sit here dumbfounded by the comments people make, and other times I could just cry.

Today, my mood is better, so I'll opt for dumbfounded and ignore the stupid quotes. There's good stuff out there, and I aim to find it. =oD

No comments: