Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Progress

Two nights in a row. I know I shouldn't be this excited about it, but with my track record over the past month, I'm going to let myself be. Maybe that's a function of being in a slump. When you finally pull yourself out of it, get happy about even the smallest amount of progress. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like the work was worth it in the short-term.

Of course, we can all see the progress in the long-term. Especially when we're sitting with a completed book in our hands. (I'm the kind of person who has to print out a copy. Besides the fact that I like to edit with my red pen, I love to feel the weight of the pages in my hands. It's like taking an abstract achievement and turning into a concrete. The only other way to do this is to see it in print, and I'm still working on that.)

Progress in the short-term is harder to measure. Think about writing for an hour. If your story is coming hard and fast at you, you may make 2500 words (or about ten pages) - and that's if you're a good typist. On average, I can get about a thousand in an hour, if I'm on a roll. Four pages roughly. Four pages held up in the scheme of a 350-page book is nothing. Like I said, hard to see the short-term progress. Maybe that's why I keep my word meters and my spreadsheet. I like to see actual achievement, no matter how small it may seem.

And I like to celebrate the little achievements when I can. Tonight put me over 19K words - not a milestone number, but so damned close I can taste it. Tomorrow, maybe I'll hit 20K.

Depends on whether I go with writing new words, or getting back to editing Blink. I'm not sure yet. I'll let y'all know which direction the day takes. =oD

Now, to all of you who accomplished anything today... WAY TO GO!. Give yourself a pat on the back, and if you have any lying around, I think this calls for chocolate.

3 comments:

Anissa said...

Great job! I'm still plugging away at the edits. Slow and steady, but making progress.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Well Done! I think you have every right to be excited about your progress. I too had a good day yesterday, so have patted myself on the back, although the chocolate will have to wait until later (can't quite face it for breakfast, somehow).

Erica Ridley said...

Yay for progress! WTG!