Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Friday, February 9, 2007

Making Money

I haven't sold anything yet. I wish. Fortunately, I have a wonderful husband who works very hard and keeps me in the style to which I've always been accustomed. (You know, Food-Shelter-Heat-Clothing... The basics.) But querying and submitting costs money. Money that just isn't in the household budget for the most part.

So, how does a writer manage to stay afloat? Well, this writer does something for which many in the writing community would gladly shoot me. (Or at least beat me raw with a hickory switch.)

I sell used books. Online. Through Amazon.

There. I said it. I am Books by BES. The link has been hiding way way way down there on the bottom left, under "Other Sites Worth Seeing". Of course, it's not going to make me rich by any stretch of the imagination, but it keeps me in printer cartridges and postage and paper.

Now, having outed myself, let me give you my take on the whole issue of used books. I'll admit, it does hamper new book sales, which can cut into a writer's pocket. But, my thinking on this (call it rationalization if you will) is that there are tons of people in the world who can't afford to buy the new books. So if one of these frugal people happens to want to read your stuff, they're screwed. I'm also of the opinion that once a book has sold, it's the property of the person who bought it. So while it's still your intellectual property, the physical book itself is the owners to do with as they please. If they want to sell your book for twice the cover price, more power to them. Provided the market will bear that kind of mark-up.

Some people have suggested used books should fall under some kind of cut for the author, or the publisher, etc. I don't think this ought to happen. (Whether it will happen remains to be seen.) Look at it this way. If you were a carpenter, you would spend hours crafting a table. You would pour your heart and soul and blood into creating the best, most beautiful table you could. Then you would sell it. If the buyer wants to turn around and sell it, it's out of your hands, and you don't get a piece of his profit.

I know, someday I'll be published and I'll get to watch my books being sold by used book vendors, without a single penny dropping into my pocket. I've thought about this. It doesn't change my stance.

Now, for a little bit of sales promotion. I have over a thousand books - of all makes, models and genres. I have rare books, old books, first editions, and not. (I don't have anything signed, though.) I have many books I truly love and several I really hate, but that's part of the business. Please stop by the online store, and if you have any questions, drop me a line.

(And as always, if you have anything negative to say, I'll read it but don't expect it to make the comment chain.)

2 comments:

Janimé said...

Not being a writer, I say incredulously, there are people who think you ought not to be able to buy or sell used books without the author getting a cut!?

Huh?

Should we do away with libraries as well? (Well, maybe we should do away with goverment funded libraries, but that's another topic altogether).

I for one, will not be beating you with anything :)

B.E. Sanderson said...

Sadly, yes. I don't remember which writing site was having the discussion - and I've purposely avoided any such discussion at AW - but it was as plain as day. Writers ranting about the used book industry, and how there oughta be a law... You know the drill, Jan.

We'll see if I get any fallout from the writing world for coming out of my closet. *shrug*

I'd love to ditch the gov't funded libraries. Then I could start my own members-only library where we could listen to nice soft music and smoke while we read. =o)

And anyone who was rotten couldn't come in. =op