Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Thursday, February 1, 2007

Moods and Blog Posts and Other Sundry Stuff

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. I spent the whole day pretty much grumped-out and feeling crappy. So I figured the less said the better, which is good because I saw a lot of things I could have commented on rather nastily. It was one big mass of 'don't get me started' - from the blog surfing I did (although most of my regular blogs were fine) to the television to the radio. I only had one nerve and everyone was on it. Even poker was pissing me off today, so I quit it all and sat on the couch with my crocheting. It's an afghan in the making, I decided. I got a lot done over there on the couch and not a whole heck of a lot done over here at the computer. Sorry about that.

Some days are like that. Acknowledge it, move on, and hope you have the presence of mind to not say anything or do anything you'll regret once the mood passes. Lucky for me, I've matured enough to stay away from people when I get in one of these funks.

I actually wrote four separate blog posts today (not including this one). I post one early, I deleted two of them as being too negative for prime time, and the other one was written specifically for tomorrow, so y'all will have to wait for that one.

Which brings me around to a favorite piece of advice I have, that I touched on briefly here once before. Before you send anything to anyone, let it simmer and then re-read it. This is particularly important if you're in a mood. And I don't just mean a bad mood, either. Any rush of emotion can transmit to your writing, and may be better worded when you've had a chance to think about it.

That's what kept me from blogging today. Excess emotion of a negative nature. I'm much better now, thank you very much. The bug I felt like I was getting has been squashed, and I'm once again my fairly happy well-adjusted self.

Now I need to go kill a few people...

(Did I mention this latest WIP is a murder-mystery? ;o) )

1 comment:

Alex Adams said...

"Before you send anything to anyone, let it simmer and then re-read it. This is particularly important if you're in a mood. And I don't just mean a bad mood, either. Any rush of emotion can transmit to your writing, and may be better worded when you've had a chance to think about it."

Truer words have rarely been spoken. It's amazing how different written words can look when your mood swings the other way.

I have those homicidal days too. It really helps to kill a character. :D