Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Books to read JFTHOI

Yesterday, I did the 'must reads' - and yes, some of them are pretty dry. I put them as must-reads because each of them had some value to me, both as a writer and as a reader. (And yes, there are quite a few I haven't gotten to yet. But I'm not dead yet, so I have time.)

Today, I'd like to give you a list of books to read JFTHOI - just for the heck of it. (These are in no particular order.)

The V.I. Warshawski novels by Sara Paretsky (mystery)
The Stainless Steel Rat novels by Harry Harrison (and if you're into those, try his books on Bill the Galactic Hero.) (sci-fi)
The Xanth Novels by Piers Anthony (fantasy)
The Americana Series by Janet Dailey (romance)
Elfstones of Shannara - Terry Brooks (fantasy) (I only picked one of this set because I think it's the best one)
Anything by Robert Aspirin (SF/F) (Very funny. Try "Another Fine Myth" or "Phule's Company")
The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler (mystery)(and its sequel "Perchance to Dream" by Robert B. Parker)

I know yesterday I said anything by Erle Stanley Gardner (who wrote the Perry Mason books) but give his DA series a whirl. The main character - Doug Selby - is awesome, and I like him better than Mason.

Enjoy. And once again, if you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comment chain.

No comments: