Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Friday, March 16, 2007

Morning Irritant

Last night, Miss Snark posted about a letter she received - Give Me a F/ing Break. In this post, she comments on a letter she received from a writer whining about how all the rules are hurting her (I assume it's a her) creativity. As you may have realized, that kind of thing totally chaps my hide. Not only that, but the way the letter was written - with all the 'love your site', 'you're tops with me' and 'love ya'. Just oozed insincerity. Sorta like a dog who takes a chunk out of you and then rolls over on its back so you won't be mad.

Then very late last night (or way early this morning) Maya Reynolds wrote an excellent post in a similar vein - Art for Art's Sake - where she discusses the reactions of an online forum to the idea that writing is anything more than art. I'm guessing 'sell-out' was the nicest thing they called her.

At this point, I can only say: WTF? The comment I left in Maya's chain was: "You tell 'em, Maya. Writing is an art, but it's not friggin' abstract act (thank goodness) - where you just splash whatever you feel like down and hope someone will buy it. It takes work, and anyone who's not willing to put in the work... They're the ones who scream loudest about having to follow the rules. Feh."

And if you haven't read my post from a couple days ago - Take It Like a Man... Even If You Aren't - then please do so. It goes back to the same basic principle.

Have a lovely day everyone. Me? I need a smoke.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, i wrote that dumb letter to Miss Snark. Sorry to have been an irritant...I agree with all you say. I didn't mean how people are taking it, but I'll spare you by not trying to explain... it was written poorly and stupidly... sorry.