Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Monday, March 19, 2007

A Hack? I don't think so.

In my travels through the internet, I've heard it said that Dan Brown is a hack. I withheld judgement until I could read The DaVinci Code myself, and I can now say with complete certainty that Mr. Brown is most certainly NOT a hack.

I can, however, see why numerous 'writers' would call him one. The man wrote an excellently crafted story, he spent countless hours in research, and he presented the world with a best seller. The last I heard, the DaVinci code had sold over 40 million copies. Call it jealousy if you will. Consider it hatred of the good for being good. To me, it just seems petty and vicious.

I loved the book, BTW. Oh sure, he could have done any one of several things that would have better suited me personally, but I didn't write it. Mr. Brown wrote it and it was perfect. Several times throughout the book, he had me guessing at the clues, and almost without fail, I was wrong. And I loved it. The only thing I got right was the last clue, and only after he practically spoon-fed it to me - but thankfully, I got it before Robert Langdon. (So there. =op )

So, if you haven't read the book yet, I only have one question for you. What's keeping you?

:tapping foot impatiently:

=oD

3 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I loved it, too! I did hate the way he handled flashbacks ... I never knew he was flashing back until I was halfway through the scene and discovered that, no, a bunch of people hadn't just walked in.

I hate having to go back re-read a sentence, let alone a page!

But I did love it. Yes, there was lots of information dump, but it was fascinating. I can totally see why it sold so well!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the book but liked Angels and Demons better. What enjoyed most about the books is that they were page turners...the only thing that bothered me was that more people will have a really twisted view of the Catholic Church but heck that too is nothing new!

Anissa said...

I'm with Liz in that I liked Angels and Demons even better. But that's not to say I didn't like The DaVinci Code. Loved it. What a storyteller! I couldn't put it down, then was sad when I finished. Always a good sign in my book.