Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Saturday, March 3, 2007

Genre Difficulties

In an e-mail this morning, I was trying to describe Blink. Needless to say, I couldn't find the words to describe it. It doesn't fit into a genre mold.

It could be considered SF, because it's set in the future...
It could be considered literary, because it deals with big ideas...
It could be a thriller, because there's action and it has fast pacing...

Picture if Crichton or Follett had written Fahrenheit 451. (Not that Bradbury didn't do an excellent job, but other than the scene where Montag is being chased by the robot dog, it isn't really thrilling.) Or if the protagonist in Anthem had decided to stay and fight for control of the city.

I know I've got to narrow it down if I ever want to sell this puppy. As far as I can tell, everyone is looking for where a book belongs on a shelf. After all, this is a product, and you have to be able to market it right if you want to increase your sales. (And who doesn't want to increase sales?)

I haven't started the 3rd phase of editing yet, so I have a little time. Maybe by the time I'm done editing, the genre will become clearer. Ever have problems with figuring out your genre?

For a little help, try: http://www.agentquery.com/genre_descriptions.aspx. I just wish they could help me.

(I'd make up a genre of my own, but I've heard that's a no-no. Otherwise, Spectacle could have been billed as a philosophical thriller. Is there such a thing as literary-SF? Ack.)

1 comment:

Tia Nevitt said...

Would "Science Fiction Thriller" fly? In my mind, a "thriller" is a very specific style of writing where the action rarely lets up.

I have this sort of difficulty too. I am describing my WIP as a "Romantic Fantasy Thriller" but when it comes down to the query letter, I'll probably just call it a fantasy.