Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Friday, March 23, 2007

Missed it again

Well, Miss Snark ran a really short really quick contest today: Idols of March. Entries were due between 5 and 5:15pm. Unfortunately my brain shorted out and her window was for EST, not MST, so I blew it. I did, however, write an entry.

Just so it doesn't go completely to waste, here it is:

“Six years,” Dan Lazar said, his words lost in helicopter’s noise. “Too long,” he decided. Over the treetops, he could see his rooftop griffin keeping watch over his wife; keeping her safe until his return. Even before they landed, a huge dog ran from the house, barking furiously. “Good ol’ Reacher,” he thought. Then he saw what he’d been waiting for. She was wearing a smart blue suit—nothing snazzy for his return, but still he smiled.

Before he could walk more than a dozen steps, she was in his arms. “Hello, moonbeam,” he whispered into her hair. “I’m home.”


(100 words - exactly, BTW.)

ETA: This was something I whipped together in about a half hour. If anyone is game, follow Miss Snark's directions and leave your entry in the comment chain. If nothing else it was a great exercise to get the juices flowing. =oD

2 comments:

r louis scott said...

I think Miss Snark wanted someone unemployed to win the book. I missed the window too (just as well, 192 entries in 15 minutes!!??!!) and have taken your lead and posted on my blog. Someone will run across it one day and wonder what I'm talking about I suppose.

I liked your story, sorry you missed the window.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Darn. I'm unemployed! Heh. Okay, so it's by choice...