Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Saturday, March 24, 2007

End Sabbatical

Okay. I knew I couldn't stay away for too long. Yes, I just said I was going on sabbatical a couple of days ago, but since I had been a slug for a couple of weeks, it counts. Maybe saying I was taking a break was sufficient to light a fire under my butt. (A little poking of my subconscious was in order, I guess.)

So, having announced my break, I sat down last night and wrote a new beginning for Blink. Actually, I recycled the beginning from an earlier draft when I was still calling the book 'Prologue'. I shaved a few words here, and inserted a few words there, and Voila! It dovetailed rather nicely into the whole story.

I also did some work on AWJ, but that sucker is still going slow. Maybe I'll put it on hold and work on one of my other stories. I'll have to take a stroll through my files and see what tickles my fancy.

BTW, as a sort of short Update: I sent out five queries (one snail and four equeries) last week, and got two rejections back almost immediately. Thank you, gentlemen, for being prompt and thank you also for providing more than a form rejection. Your time and your consideration are appreciated.

(I don't remember if I said this before, but I have promised myself to never mention the names of the agents I've heard from, and rarely the names of those I've queried - at least not in relation to my work. If they say something informative online, I'll certainly link to them, but that's all.)

ETA: With regard to the reading portion of my sabbatical... Sorry to the Jane Austen fans out there, but I just couldn't get into Pride and Prejudice. I had the same experience with Emma a long time ago, but it was worth a shot. My daughter is now suggesting Austen's book Northanger Abbey would be the best Austen for me to try. What say the rest of you?

2 comments:

Alex Adams said...

Northanger Abbey is my sister's favorite Austen book, and it's the least like her others. But seriously, Jane Austen has a voice you can either get into or not. It took me fifteen years to be able to read her work.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Then there's hope for me. =oD

I'm still hoping to read Nathaniel Hawthorne again before I die. I read The Scarlet Letter in high school because I had to. I tried reading House of the Seven Gables last year... Ack. There's always hope. I made it through an entire Victor Hugo back in 2004.