Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Being Yourself

When I first started writing (or re-started writing, if you like), I found I couldn't read anyone else's stuff while I was trying to write. This really sucked, because I've always been a voracious reader. Still, I knew it was necessary.

You see, I had this strange affliction of not being able to write and keep my own voice--not as long as I read other people. If I read Rand, my writing began to sound like Rand (which isn't a bad thing, mind you - it's just not my voice). If I read Joyce, I'd sound like Joyce (which is a bad thing, IMO). And so on. So, you see my problem. As long as I wanted to keep my own voice, I had to cease reading for as long as I was writing. Heck, back then, I couldn't even read while I was editing.

I'd sneak books in between manuscripts. Jam as many in as I could before the writing bug grabbed me again, and I got back to work. And I have a long list of books waiting to be read, so there was a lot to jam.

Over time I noticed I could read while I was editing, and not end up changing my words to meet someone else's voice. It didn't happen overnight, but it was a wonderful thing when it did. I could slide in a few more of someone's words between books. Yippee!

Just recently, it occurred to me that I wasn't having trouble at all reading someone else's work while writing my own. Heck, I'm critting and writing and editing now.

So what happened? I finally solidified my own voice so no one else's overlapped. My crit partner's voice and mine are different, and it's wonderful. Her work isn't infringing on mine, and mine isn't infringing on hers. I can read again. (I'm the last person to read The DaVinci Code, right?)

I've heard time and again that finding your own voice is paramount. Yet, another piece of advice is to read everything in your genre and out of it. My advice is: Find your own voice and write until it is so stuck in your head nothing can shake it.

After that you can read to your heart's content and still truly be yourself. After all, IMO, that's the most important thing of all. (Inside and outside of writing.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I still don't read much when I am in writing mode...part of what you mentioned I think but also because I feel so drained!

B.E. Sanderson said...

I hear you, there. Being too tired, too busy, etc. is a whole other thing.

Alex Adams said...

Sheesh, I tried to respond to this yesterday, but the word verification wasn't showing up.

Anyway...

Don't you just love it when you realize you've found your voice? It's a real A-HA! moment. I can read anything now and know it's not going to impact my own work.

B.E. Sanderson said...

I had the same problem at a couple other blogs yesterday. Google must have been having a brain fart.