Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Queries Floating in the Ether

Yesterday while I was trying to motivate myself to write some queries, I got sidetracked trying to organize my agent database. I've been off-task for a while now, so it came as no surprise I needed to input a lot of information. After I slogged through inputting the pile of rejections (okay it wasn't that many in the scheme of things - maybe a half dozen), and I flipped through the individual database records, I was shocked to some agents haven't replied at all. True, most of these non-replies are from e-queries, but still... Ack.

And the few SASEs left floating in the ether... What the heck happened to those little buggers? Did the government pounce on them because I dared to... :gasp: put my own address as both TO and FROM? (Please show me the terrorist who would bother to kill little old no one me out here in BFE.) Or are those agents still pondering the pages of my work? (hope hope hope)

The longest time between query and return of SASE for me was 11 months. I don't know what in the heck happened there, but sheesh. 11 months and all I got was a form rejection. I think my query fell behind his desk only to be recovered by the cleaning crew nearly a year later.

Non-replies from e-queries are still irritating, but I find myself much more miffed about non-replies from snail mail submissions. Mainly because I paid for the envelope and the stamp. If they never use them, it's like flushing money down the toilet, and I hate the thought of wasting money.

:end rant:

As a final question - unrelated to the rant - how do you keep track of your agent submissions? Personally, I use an old DOS based contact management software program that I've had since... Egads... 1995. It still works great though. No muss, no fuss. And since it was the first software program I ever conducted training on, I'm pretty well-versed in its capabilities. (The newer versions of it stink for ease of use, IMO, but everyone has their own favorite.) What's yours? Or do you not use a computer program at all?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're organizarion amazes me! I would think that a discreat follow up after three months is appropriate.....just my opinion:-)

B.E. Sanderson said...

I can't bring myself to follow-up on just a query. A requested partial, certainly. But an unsolicited query?

Maybe I'm just being a big ol' sissy, but I don't want to piss anyone off.

If you saw my house, you wouldn't call me organized. With all the junk laying in piles, I have to use a computer or I wouldn't find anything. ;o)

Anissa said...

I use an Excel spreadsheet. Pretty basic, but it meets my needs. Good luck with the submissions!

Alex Adams said...

I use a word document.

Gawd, don't get me started on non-replies to queries. It takes all of five seconds to hit reply and say "no thanks" and then I can tick them off and go on to the next agent. Even Miss Snark detests the non-repliers.

It's just rude to not reply. Rude!