Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Writing Sabbatical

For the past couple of weeks, my progress meters haven't moved. (At least, not much.) I'm guessing they won't be moving much any time soon either.

I've decided to take a little sabbatical from writing. Oh, I'll still be querying for Caldera, but the new writing of AWJ and the editing of Blink are on hold. Everything is feeling forced, and I'm just feeling drained.

No big deal. This has happened before. It's just a little wave that I have to ride out from time to time. At least now I recognize it for what it is, and I can roll with it instead of getting knocked under.

So, instead of writing, I'm going to read. I'm going to do what I did before I got too busy with life and with writing - I'm going to devour my books one after another until I am so full I couldn't' touch another page. Since Friday I have finished The DaVinci Code and The Joy Luck Club. Last night I started Pride and Prejudice. I'm going to attack my list of 'must reads' and see how many of them I can savor before my own muse says "Enough!" and flicks me in the back of the head until I write my own masterpieces again.

Should be fun. Heck, I might even read Anna Karenina - which is rather imposing, but I think I'm up to it. (Maybe... I dunno.)

What are you reading right now?

5 comments:

Anissa said...

Happens to me too. Time to fill up the tank.

Right now, I'm reading Holly Kennedy's The Tin Box. Oh, and a book on crafting mysteries.

Enjoy emerging yourself in the worlds of others!

Janimé said...

I love to read. Pride and Predjudice is one of my favorites.

Unknown said...

Enjoy the break. I'll be having a little time off to visit my parents in FL so I'll be tacking the tbr pile!

Alex Adams said...

I'm with Anissa, it happens to me as well.

I'm reading Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes(my upstairs book) and Voyager, by Diana Gabaldon(my downstairs book).

Novelgirl said...

Wow what a good idea - I have so many books on my bookshelf which I need to read but somehow feel guilty about reading as I have so much to write!Good for you - it will only help your writing!

Let us know how it goes...