Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.
- Napoleon

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

This, That n The Other Thing

You may have noticed a slight change to the ol' word meters over there (<---------). AWJ has been relegated to the waiting room, and I have begun work on an as yet unnamed book. Poor AWJ was feeling neglected anyway, and since the writing was feeling forced, I thought we needed a trial separation. It'll be good for us both.

The new book is another thriller. I'm not going to outline the premise here on the blog yet. It's still pretty fresh, and so far the only one who's had a real inkling of what the premise is all about is my CP. (Who said something to the effect of "Will you hurry up and write it so I can read it?" No pressure there. ;o) ) My husband only got the barest of bare bones back when I first thought of this one. More of a 'hey, I just had an idea for a book' kind of thing than a true plot outline.

I'm feeling good about it so far. I knew it was an awesome idea when I thought of it a couple months ago, but I was having a real problem with the logistics of it all. I sat down last night and wrote a few paragraphs of plot points, and then went back over the first 600 words I dashed out when I first got the idea. Good words for the most part, and they dovetail nicely into the points I outlined last night, so I'm going to keep them. I also added about a thousand words and the beginning is rounding out nicely.

Feels good to be back at the keyboard again.

On the business side of writing, I got out about a half-dozen query letters - several of which were immediately met with form rejections. I'm wading through AgentQuery now to pick the best agents to send to now. Can't rest on my tiny-hiney just because I got a partial request (although the urge is there to stop everything and wait on her decision). Nope. Submit Submit Submit.

Also, I'm planning on resuming my work schedule again. This means I will write new words on weeknights and edit on the weekends. Blink needs to be called up out of the waiting room... Hey! Put down that 1988 copy of Good Housekeeping and get to work!... So it can be polished and ready for my beta readers. I just hope my beta readers are ready for it.

So, what's on your plate these days?

No comments: